Aren't we all just observers?

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Mysteries of my Orient.

A floor tile at the Peking Duck restaurant I went to on Saturday night.

In any other place it may seem strange or unusual for a semi-famous restaurant to feature well-known, lovable cartoon characters as a design motif. But I'll chalk that up to a difference in taste and leave it at that. However, try as I might, I really can't get over the fact that this is a restaurant famous for its DUCK. Hello? Anyone? I don't think this is the vegetarian in me. I think it's the sane person in me.

After almost three weeks here, I've decided that this is reason enough to love China. Totally unselfconscious ridiculous-ness at every turn. Which brings me to my next gem...

Leaving Huey, Dewey and Louie and heading to the Tiger Beer party on Saturday night (fun, BTW), we saw this sign along the side of the road:

Being illiterate rocks.

Is the cop reprimanding the man-powered cart guy for looking so beat-down? Is he admiring the softness of the scooter-guy's sweater? Is he telling them both to have a nice day and try not to work too hard?

I will never know, because I am an illiterate foreigner.

-------

I went to the USA vs. China exhibition game in Guangzhou last night. Before arriving, Guangzhou was described to me as "China's armpit" as well as "China's Miami" (insert smart ass-ness here). Gray-ness and more soupy humidty greeted me at the airport. It was a joyous reunion.

From the 8th row.

I had a great time at the game. The enthusiasm of the Chinese fans was remarkable...in that it was totally delusional. Despite being down by 40+ in the fourth quarter, the crowd went wild; banging inflatable yellow tubes together, clapping and shouting with each bucket. I'm not sure if they actually thought there was hope of winning the game ("Three minutes left, and we're within 40! Exactly where we need to be!"), didn't care who won but were looking for an excuse to bang the yellow inflatable tube-things together, or if they were simply being polite. Whatever the answer, it was a good time.

It was a really quick trip, and I caught an early flight back to Shanghai this morning.

Guangzhou from a cab, very, very early in the morning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So, who was on the USA team? Pro's? College? Street hoopsters? I respectfully request pictures of YOU in China to be posted on the blog too - you know, your feet on a Shanghai sidewalk, your fingers holding up a restaurant menu, your office / office mates, your knees while sitting in a cab, your reflection in a mirror as you try on the latest Chinese hat styles. You get the picture -- ACTION PHOTOS! Now!