Aren't we all just observers?

Friday, August 25, 2006

Goodbye, Shanghai.

Detritus of an in-room buffet.

Somewhat fittingly, I spent my last night in Shanghai at the Regal Beagle with some friends, some take out (courtesy of Shanghai Sherpas, of course) and every bottle of mini-bar wine we could conjure up from the W+K dorm block. Although there are tons and tons of things I didn't get around to experiencing in Shanghai, spending it in my room with my buddies was the perfect end to this leg of the adventure.

Leaving the city, Wednesday morning.

On my way to Phuket, we had a layover in Bangkok for about 5 hours. We were hanging out in what I like to think of as the "vacation terminal" with flights mostly headed to the south of Thailand. Everyone's happy, tan, scantily clad. But I decided I should reevaluate my assessment when I saw this:

Yeah, not so much.

I'm in Phuket now, doing absolutely nothing. I could not be happier. At the moment, there's a massive downpour, with waves crashing in, wind blowing and vacationers heading for the indoors, but yesterday and the day before were absolutely picturesque. I read an embarrassingly trashy novel without a hint of shame. And so what if I paid $20 for Jackie Collins!?!? It was so worth it.

We leave here tomorrow afternoon, heading back north to Bangkok for one night. I'm sure it will be...interesting.

xoxo






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Lord....
Guess who---Mom's net service is down. So I guess it's my turn to let u no we are OK..love your stuff..be careful out there..see you soon...TEEDEE

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this fabulous blogspace and sharing your insight and experiences. I will soon be going through withdrawals without my blog fix unless....you find a reason to continue, even if just for your admiring fans:)
Safe travels.
Tina

Anonymous said...

Hey Gabrielle. Glad (not to mention envious) to see you're seeing some exotic sites.

Look me up sometime.

-Drew707
greatstature.com