Aren't we all just observers?

Sunday, June 03, 2007

Dayum.

Blogger is in Spanish today. Don't know why. (Ok, I know why, but it's still.) I'm kicking myself for the 4,722nd time for taking French all those years.

Anyhow, I arrived to my hotel an hour or so ago and am thrilled. OMG. This place is gorgeous. Every nook and cranny is designed for function, which means there's all sorts of little efficiencies hiding in every corner. Fully adjustable lighting (hit one button and lights all over the room adjust), electric curtains (the nice kind, not the cheesy kind), a super-sleek tub, oy. Not only that, but it's GORGEOUS. There's no way I'll do it justice tonight, but suffice it to say, I walked around with my jaw dropped open. It's that nice.

I even have a balcony, opening out into the center of the building, complete with chairs and a tiny table. Ridiculous. There's no way I'm doing it justice:



So much so that I tried to tell the room service lady that the hotel was beautiful. Unfortunately, she just looked at me, puzzled, and said "The salad is beautiful?". So I nodded yes. The salad was also beautiful, but that really wasn't my point. I considered trying to communicate that I meant the room, but was afraid my non-Spanish speaking gesticulating may seem a little creepy. (Imagine wild hand waving towards the bed, the bathtub, even the toilet area and the word "beautiful" repeated. Awkward.)

Yesterday was a day off in London, which was also really, really nice. I spent most of the day at the Tate Modern, which was, of course, incredible. I walked over to the museum from where I was staying in Covent Garden which took me along the south side of the Thames, and, more importantly, through a traditional English festival of sorts (the citified version, of course). All I know is that it included a folk band, a long line for beer, and some sort of sausage product. I didn't stay.

But the people watching along the way kicked ass:



But, perhaps more importantly, I got to see the Rothko's Seagram Building paintings. No words at all for that. They were displayed per his wishes, all in one room, darkened and enclosing the space. They're huge, and much darker than his earlier stuff. Just my absolute favorite thing in the world.

Also saw really cool stuff by a couple of artists from the Democratic Republic of Congo. I don't remember their names off the top of my head, but it was certainly arresting. I'll post pictures later, blogger's misbehaving.

xo

P.S. Formatting is funny, but I can't figure it out since everything's in Spanish. Boo. I'll fix it later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I am now "assless", as in: I laughed my ass off over your awkward moment with the room service Senora. Good choice to decline English sausage and partake of beautiful spanish salad.