Aren't we all just observers?

Sunday, June 17, 2007

"The city you won't want to leave once you come."

When in Rome...

Today's title comes from a billboard we saw on our way out of Shanghai, in reference to Chengdu (a city in the south). Having been there, I would like to contest the validity of the claim, but that is neither here nor there. Let's simply have a round of applause for erring on the side of modesty. Bravo!

Speaking of modesty, I have the video you have all been waiting for. Twenty year old Chinese girls performing a scintillating dance routine for their university P.E. class. Hold onto your hats, now:


20, 15. Whatever.

Today has been good. The flight from Shanghai to Seoul is very short-- under 2 hours and quite painless. (Unless you count Asia spilling her Coke Light in her seat pocket it was downright uneventful.) We even got our own farewell performance:

Look closely, it's just for us!

At the end of the day, there is ridiculous sweetness in the world. Kind of nice after the general insanity of modern China and spending a boat load of time with not-s0-nice people.

Hello, Korea.
About 10 minutes before landing in Seoul.

Really, all day I have been imbued with a sense of optimism. Maybe it's the Jamie Foxx I've been listening to. Or perhaps it's the fact that I only have one week left and get to go to two cities I've never visited. Any way you slice it, I'm thrilled to feel a little less crushed with stress.

That said, I totally wimped out and couldn't manage to get out of the hotel for a drink or dinner. Boo to me. But, if it's any consolation (sorry, Asia), the bar at the W is a pretty cool place to hang out and we were the only gringos there. Granted, we had to explain what a gin gimlet was, but once they figured it out it was pretty tasty. And the people watching was ridiculous... I mean, Damn, girls. Have a snack!

We've heard so much from women about body issues on this trip and-- based on what I saw at the bar tonight-- I assume it'll be much more of the same here. These are some skinny girls. They look 14, perpetually. So bizarre. The west clearly has more than our fair share of ass. Kinda makes me proud.

Anyhow, I'm up late again. I've got to stop this nonsense.

Do write. Miss you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Check your regular e-mail too...